Image Map

Favorite things: Coins

Sunday, November 10th, 2013


I love to collect things, old photographs, cameo's, things that are miniature, books (although currently I read mostly e-books, I have acquired a pretty vast collection already), clothes, shoes and (vintage) suitcases are my current obsessions. In the past I collected a wide range of things: from stickers to perfum bottles and from Barbie dolls to theatre programs, I collected it all. Although I don't collect those things anymore, I do treasure most of those small collections. 


PB108349


A couple of years ago a distant relative of my grandmother died. My mother helped with packing the belongings that the woman had left behind and my mother received a small tin with a wide range of vintage coins in it. My mother gave the tin to me and I was instantly intrigued by this little collection. The coins come from all the corners of the world and are dated from the 19th and 20th century. Some coins were used in The Netherlands during the Second World War and are easily recognised by the swastika on one side of the coins. Although I find these coins very interesting, there is one coin that fascinates me the most. This coin dates back to the 17th century, was printed in 1668 and features the picture of Louis XIV of France. 



PB108357
The coin in the upper left corner is a coin from the German Reich and was minted in 1942



PB108367
The coin with the big 'W' comes from The Netherlands, in 1877 Queen Wilhemina was reigning. A bit left from the
coin with the W, you see a coin which depicts Queen Victoria. The coin on the right is a French coin of 50 centimes.



PB108373
The coin with the text 'Veni, vidi, vici' has the date at the bottom of the coin: 1668.
It depicts a lion and a cock on a branch. 



PB108376
The other side of the 'Veni, vidi, vici' coin depicts Louis XIV (here written as XIIII).



PB108381
On the left: A 1 cent coin from The Dutch East Indies (Nederlands-Indië), minted in 1858
In the middle: A coin from Holland, minted in 1738



PB108390
Upper/middle: Belgium coin made in 1912
Bottom/middle: a coin minted in 1909 from The United States of America

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...